Wednesday, February 4, 2009

TANTRUMS!!!!!!!


I am sitting here eating a well deserved bowl of ice cream, feeling very annoyed with a bunch of strangers who happen to shop at Wal-Mart. (Is it just me, or do the meaniest people in the world shop there?)

My oldest, Lucy (3), for the most part is a well mannered, sweet little girl! She is usually very happy. But when she wants to be, she is also VERY stubborn. I love her dearly, but sometimes (especially lately) I feel like everything has been a battle, even if it's something she actually wants to do!!!!!

Today has been one of those days. She has had 4 meltdowns today and it's only 3:30!!!....Sigh.

I think I do pretty well during her tantrums. I never let her see that it upsets me. If we are at home I give her a warning and if the behavior continues then I put her in the "naughty chair." When she stops, I get down to her level and explain why she was put there and have her apologize to me and anyone else it affected. If she throws things they go in "time out" too (which is located on the top shelf of the closet) for a full 24 hours.
If we are in public I take her to a place where no one is ans wait it out either holding her or I have her sit in a chair/bench/cart. And then do the same thing. Tell her why and have her say "Sorry".

(Eric and I decided that we will NEVER spank our kids. I'm not judging anyone who does, after all my mom spanked me. However, we both feel that it is too easy to lose control and spank out of anger. We feel that spanking may stop the behavior temporarily but in the long run is ineffective)

Sooooo.....
Today, in Wal-Mart Lucy had a HUGE meltdown. She wanted to walk and I told her that she needed to get in the cart. I gave her a choice between the basket or the seat, but she wouldn't have it! It was "Walk" or "Whine"!!!! So I told her, "I'm sorry that it makes you angry, but now is a time when mommy needs you to sit in the cart" and I picked her up and put her in! We walked for about 30 seconds as she took it all in and then BOOOOM!!!!! She started kicking and screaming at the top of her lungs. Grabbing my shirt, hair, face, anything that she was in arms reach of!!! Well, all you moms of toddlers knows how that goes. I quickly picked up my pace making sure that I didn't make eye contact with anyone, as she wailed past the aisles. As I passed I heard gasps like " Sheesh", "Wow" and "Oh my Gosh!!!!" But I just focused on not turning red, and not reacting while I searched for a less populated area. As I was speed-walking, I heard one lady actually say, "Would someone shut that BRAT up?!!!" I did make eye contact with that women and glarred at her for a moment. But I wanted so badly say something like "What would you suggest?? A sock???" It hurt me so much that anyone would say something like that about my precious little girl. She's only 3 for heavens sake!!! Another old lady kept saying "Hey You, Hey You, BE QUIET!!!" My friend Joanna, who was with me, actually turned around and shushed her. Then the lady mumbled something that I didn't hear, but after a moment I heard Joanna say "Mind your own business!!!" I was soo mortified and thankful at the same time that my friend would stand up for me in that way. (Thanks Jo! It really did help me feel better!) Anyway, I finally found a place that had no one around and waited it out. Breathing heavily, but doing my very best to look calm. The whole ordeal was about 5 mins. But it was the longest 5 minites that I've felt in a long time. During those 5 min I had to keep my mind completely blank, which was sooo hard, because I knew if I thought about the things those people said I would start to cry. It was soo difficult to fight back the tears. It was soo hard to keep Lucy from seeing how much it affected me! Sometimes being a mom is soo hard!!!! It would have been so easy for me to lose my temper and chew out all those people who truly deserved it. It would have been so easy for me to give in and let Lucy walk after I had told her "No." All the screaming and kicking, staring, and rude comments would have stopped had I just givin Lucy what she wanted. But no, deep down I knew that it wasn't right. So I kept walking letting those painful comments pierce me like arrows. One by one for the sake of raising my daughter correctly!

Anyway, I just needed to get that off my chest. It totally brought me back to the days when Lucy had colic. There was nothing I could do but endure through it, as insensitive people glarred at me and made comments. There was hardly a shopping trip that went by that I didn't come home with tears rolling down my cheeks.

Any comments or suggestions??? I could definitly use a helping hand or some encoruagement right now.

9 comments:

queenieweenie said...

Aren't tantrums fun? Nobody ever tells you that parenting is sometimes just plain HARD!!! Just keep doing your best and start shopping at Target instead (j/k).

Your girls are beautiful and adorable.

Tiffany said...

You did the right thing! Good for you! Those people are just lame and rude. Don't listen or mind them at all!

Katie Harding said...

LOL!!! I should shop at target, huh??!! Ya, everyone tells you what a joy it is to have children but seem to leave out just how hard it can be!
Thanks guys!!! I'm feeling a ton better now that a few hours have passed. In fact it's kinda funny looking back on it. Some people are so ridiculous! But boy, while in the moment and a little while after, I felt pretty shook up!

Thompson Family said...

Good for you for standing up to what you think is right. Just think, you will never see these people ever again and these tantrums will only last a few minutes. If it were me, I would have left the store and go to the car but I don't know if thats right either. I have a lot to learn myself as a mother. Motherhood is such a joy but it can be hard at times but they are the best times of your life. Keep it up Katie! You're a great mother to you two beautiful little girls.

Kimberly said...

You did so great Katie! Man...I can only imagine. I was struggling with a minor tantrum Miss E threw in Target a couple weeks back. I can't imagine one at WalMart (where you are right that some of the rudest people seem to be there.) I think a lot of people forget what it was like to have kids...

Katie Harding said...

Thanks Kim! You're so sweet!I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks Wal-mart people are mean! I'm definitely gonna shop at Target from now on!!! lol!! Good luck with Miss E's tantrums! I know exactly how that is! But they'll get over it and we'll get through it!
Elise, normally I would have done that. However, my friend drove me so it wasn't my car and there were some... well... questionable people outside. lol! Thanks though!

Hazen5 said...

You are doing everything right! Just ride it out. I can't stand rude people!

Ashley said...

Ohhhhh I can relate! I hate it when Kirsten has meltdowns and mini-tantrums and it makes me cry too. I hate feeling so helpless, like there's nothing I can do to get her to stop until she's ready to calm down on her own. I'm sorry people were so mean about it, gosh how rude!!! Hang in there!

LostnParadise said...

I know this comment is so late past your post but just wanted to say that I've come home crying after shopping with my baby, too. I know how you feel and it's such a relief knowing that other moms go through the same thing. You're a great mom and hope you continue shopping, LOL. I wish they can make shopping more mom-friendly, after all we're the ones that do all the shopping.