Thursday, May 14, 2009

Dumpster Diving... not for the faint of heart

This is how I spent my evening yesterday!
Why? you may ask...


THIS is why!

My Wedding Ring...
I was leaving the apartment at about 9 last night to throw out the trash and then go to our old apartment to do some last minute cleaning. As I was throwing the trash into the dumpster, one of the bags caught on to my wedding ring and before I knew it, my ring and the trash were flying into the dumpster. To my despair, I heard a thump and then ching as my ring landed somewhere inside. My immediate reaction was "What the heck?!!!! Aren't my fingers supposed to get bigger when I'm pregnant?" And then the choice lay before me. Do I climb in 3 months pregnant with a super sensitive nose or walk away? Well any of you who know me, know that walking away is NOT an option! I went inside to get a flashlight and tell Eric, who offered to do it for me, but I told him no. I lost it, I would find it. Besides dumpster diving is really more up my alley than his. I'm pretty sure he would have hopped right in but later he would decide to sweetly surprise me with an upgrade sometime in the next week or so. But the reality is, I didn't want an upgrade. There is something so sentimental about the lovely, simple wedding ring he gave me. He said, "It isn't much, but it's what I have to give. I love you Katie, and want to be with you forever!" That is why I couldn't let go of the ring. It's not about the money, it's not about an upgrade. It's those words connected with that ring. I needed to find it!
I spent a good half an hour in that dumpster. Throwing bags I've already looked at in the other dumpster. It was pretty disgusting. Potent, slimey, indescribable things kept pouring out of bags and I couldn't help thinking how disgusting human beings are (as if I'm not one of them). Eric's mom came over to stayed with the sleeping girls, so Eric could come help. We Looked around for what seemed like forever and just when almost all hope was gone, I lifted one last bag at the very bottom corner and there it was. I didn't even see it at first. It wasn't shiny because it was covered in some kind of gunk. But there it was....
My ring!
I picked it up, wiped it off on my shirt and shouted,
"WOOOOHOOO!!!"

(and then made Eric run in and get the camera)

9 comments:

Kimberly said...

Go Katie! I love that you looked for and found it...that's awesome. I'm glad you got pics too. I think I would have had Shonn do it....lol.

clarissamludlow said...

Wow Katie you are my new hero!!!
That is awesome! I am so glad that you found it!

Sarah said...

You should have called me! Dumpster diving (for rings and phones) seems to be my specialty... weird, I know! I'm so glad you found it though. And you got a picture of those nasty dumpsters, lol!

Thompson Family said...

Way to go Katie! I would of let Matt do it if he offered especially if I were pregnant. You are super women! I understand what you mean by the sentimental value so I'm glad you found it. Let's just hope it doesn't happen again!

queenieweenie said...

I can't believe you actually found it! I think it's a beautiful ring and the sentiments your hubby expressed when he gave it to you truly do make it priceless.

Ashley said...

Oh gosh, I'm so glad you found it! And that's great that you got pictures taken of it. I've never gone dumpster diving before.

Hazen5 said...

What is up with the Wedding Rings lately? I am so glad you found it. You deserved to after all that searching in trash! I still can't find my diamond.

Michele said...

Hooray! Katie you are brave lady. I would have done the same thing though.
My wedding ring was stolen when we were robbed a year ago. I know how it feels to lose something precious.
Happy you found it!

Rhandi said...

I'm glad this experience turned into one of those entertaining stories you'll tell to friends around the dinner table rather than a heart wrenching tragedy. Way to not give up hope! Soooo worth it!

Graham